Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Kids Today

I have always been envious of the young people growing up in the Woodstock generation. Young people who left home for San Francisco with a flower in their hair, feeling free to get weird and be whoever they thought they were. To me, these young people represent the birth of individualism. They were first generation to disregard the mold created by their parents' generation. (I understand that this may not be an accurate discription of youth in the 1960's and 1970's, it's only my (an 80's kid's) impression of it).

Now, as it turns out, its all happening again.

Thanks to Glee, Youtube, American Idol, Etsy, and other resources available today, what used to be labeled nerdy and shun-worthy is no more. Chorus is now cool? You are actually uploading that video of your mediocre singing and strumming of a guitar? Middle School and High Schoolers can now come out as gay? A small business start-up is your after school activity? All of these things were unheard of when I was in school.  

While I am happy for the young people growing up now, I am also desperately sad that I was too shy to pursue my own interests. Now, decades later, I am finally working up the courage.





No comments:

Post a Comment