Thursday, June 20, 2013

Newfangled Fish Fry

Tonight I made a faux battered fish recipe, a-la fish n' chips. I'm not from an area where fish n' chips is on every menu, but I usually order it when it is. So I was intrigued when I came across a recipe for a faux battered fish (no flour, no egg, no grains, gluten free), especially since it called for cooking the filets in coconut oil. Instead of 'deep frying' as the recipe directs, I 'shallow fried' these Weed 'em and Reap: Crispy Fish n' Chips

(I only made the fish...no chips).

I purchased 1.3 pounds of wild caught pollock for under $10 which fed two adults. I followed Weed 'em and Reap's recipe for the batter but I halved it: 1/2 cup arrowroot flour, 1/4 tsp salt and paprika, 1/8 tsp tumeric. For me, the seasonings/spices could have been kicked up a knotch. If you are planning to half this recipe, I'd keep the salt paprika and tumeric at full strength and just reduce the arrowrooot. Coating the fish in the arrowroot mixture was as easy as could be, it stuck to the fish immediately.





A TIP: when coating your first piece of fish in the 'flour' mixture, do not flop the filet down onto the plate causing flour to shower your counter, appliances and cell phone.


For the cooking, I put roughly 2 tbsp of coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan. I did not use a thermometer as indicated in the recipe because I was not deep frying. When tiny dots of sprinkled flour started sizzling in the oil, I decided it was time to place the filets in. I let them cook on one side until golden brown, and then flipped.


A TIP: when flipping fish filets in very hot oil, do not flop the filet down into the pan causing the oil to splash onto your hand and clothing.

When the fish was golden colored and cooked through I removed the pieces and placed them on a paper towel on a plate. The final product looked and tasted very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment